Monday, February 16, 2009

Countdown to the Horse Trials

I apologize to all my friends about being so neglectful of this blog. WE are in major countdown . Four days till it all begins. Though the Aiken event scene has been a buzz for several weeks, I have been a good girl,sticking to my January resolution to put the farm first so we have been busy here preparing for the Horse Trials, keeping the horses in work (I only get to ride mine every other day, but my owners horses get done first since mine do not come out till march) WE have been hunting a lot and having a SUPER SEASON! (Yesterday I played hookey and went out with Flat Branch and had a ball!)

Anyway, Dressage(four rings) and The Upper show jumping course is done. (Thank God) Those are 2 jobs that keep me up at night till they are finished. I really hope one day to spend more time with some experienced course designers as it is something I am very interested in. WE had quite a team to put up all the rings and the jumps. It's great fun when done early enough to allow for all the mishaps that always seem to pop up.

The name of the game is get ready early. Thats for sure. This year Paradise is honored to have the United States Equestriam Team riders come and train for a day on the cross country course, just 2 days before the competition starts. Though this adds to the stress level somewhat, it is an excellent kick in the you know where to make sure we are presentable early!

So the program is done (more or less), flags are up, and flowers are starting to sprout everywhere and gallons of stain are splashing about. Trees are planted, tents are going up, new water spickets and electrical sockets have been put in. There is a new sound system getting wired . I hope it works. Two new additions are the new upper road that I hope will prevent a repeat of last years tractor pull for all the giant rigs that had to fight the DEEP MUD for three days! UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And then we have bitten the bullet and gone wild with more radios! Lets hope these A:work,B:last a while! Communications is such a big part of the operation. And one of the many that send me round the bend.

So one of the last jobs is putting up all the stabling cards and moving 100 bags of shavings for the stalls. UGH. And yes folks, I am right there on that end to make sure they go in the right place. Who needs the gym? Personal trainer? Become an event organizer!

My favorite part of the event is seeing all the phases come together after weeks of stress and hard work. We have been so very very lucky with a great group of experienced friends that make it all happen.

With the help of our sponsor ARENUS, there will be some great prizes for the riders and we have built a few new jumps that are a definate addition to the event. ARENUS has been so generous with this competition, not only finacially but so supportive in helping make it a fun and informative experience for the competitors, by offering a barbeque and several seminars during the days of competition. I am honored to be a part of this company.

Barbie is riding the horses when I can't. This final week I stop teaching. It is safer for all concerned! Antonio and Ramon are doing everything imaginable. My mother is hot rodding it to Sams for all the goodies that go into the best lunches around! Todays request was for extra toilet paper(again!) and paper towels. I shall not repeat what she said here!

So stay tuned! Fingers crossed! WE are on go!

No comments: