Wednesday, March 4, 2009

More Ups and DOWNS

Thursday after the Derby,I was VERY READY to get back on my horses and have a serious day of dressage.I crunched in about 9 rides and was a DEAD DOG at the end of the day.I got off my last horse and simply looked at Barbie and said,I'll see you tomorrow.I drug myself into the house,crawled into the bed and that was it.

The cumulative effects of the past weeks stress ,with the Horse Trials and Jumping Derby really kicked me in the you know where.There was no supper that night,only groaning .But I had SUPER rides on my horses that day and went to La La land thinking about really fun shoulder-ins and legthenings.I was so excited about my horses.Things were really looking good.

The next day was the beginging of some pretty bad weather.I got to Show Jump Peter over the prelim fences out on the Jumping Derby Course.He ate it up.Then it started pourring.The Next day was even worse weather wise but we managed to Show Jump Harry and Pickles before more bad weather stopped us cold.They too were amazing and I couldn't have been happier.We were right on track.

Since Sunday was a washout I attacked my office and threw away a pickup trucks worth of old papers.I was going crazy not riding but I really felt it wasn't worth it and I got a lot of other things done.Monday was a hack day and then TUESDAY was DISASTER DAY!!!!

Pickles was my first ride and jumped around my prelim course like a real pro.WE had to break the ice in the water jump before jumping and I think that made him a bit leery.But he was a star.I watched a Badminton video over the weekend and I think Pickles is a horse very much like Mary Kings Apache Sauce.They are both chestnut with a lot of white and go with a very high head carriage.

Harry was also a star on the XC.I couldn't have been prouder of him.

Peter came out a bit spooky and was on the muscle and not straight.I warmed him up and he gave me a few ducks and dives and snorts and then got on with it.He overjumped in the beginning and was distarcted.So I played around with some lower level stuff until I felt he was connected enough to go on.So he pinged a few corners and jumped a few more and I headed him down to another corner and WHACK!The devil ran out to the left and I caught the inside of my right foot right in the arch and it snapped my leg in two!I felt it go.So I pulled up and sat there for a minute.And yes I felt that familiar pain and I saw green.Definately green.I associate green with fractures.Fractures bring intermitant pain and I could move my leg around so I picked up my reins and went onto jump about 5 more fences.A few more corners and when I got over to the high side of the field,I pulled up and waved to Barbie and said I've done enough.She said why and I said,I think my leg is broken."WHAT??????"So I rode Peter in(No pain) I got off .Of course by then everyone was in a panic.Antonio pulled off my boot(more green)and there it was.

OK,several hours later(I got to watch the whole days soap operas) I got the news and a splint and when the swelling goes away I will get a cast.Word is at the moment 4-6 weeks.

So ANOTHER Spring season is gone.This happened to me 3 years ago almost to the day.I had a great year last year so..........................I vascilated between having someone else ride the horses but decided to just let it all go.

Peter is not hurt and finished on a good note.I am sad about not being able to qualify this season for the one stars but maybe this fall.I have 3 great horses and can't wait to get back on.

In the meantime I have LOTS to do.LOTS of thankyous to everyone for all their support with the event.I am getting ready for some TV time with RFD TV,that should be fun.I hope to teach a lot and will do everything I can to get back on track.So stay tuned! You never know what will happen next!

No comments: