Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Not So Much Fun

I can barely write this and will keep it very short. The Aiken Horse Show was not so much fun. There were absolutely magical parts of it. The weather was perfect. The setting and the ring were a wonderland, unsurpassed anywhere in the world. The course beautifully laid out like a garden. The footing an amazing carpet of the most brilliant green. The horses and riders were very well turned out.

The side saddle and costume classes and the leadline were the best ever.Seeing the children on the Staurday and their faces were the memory that I took with me when I left on Sunday.

I drove out of the woods on the Sunday in a personal turmoil that I have yet to resolve. I am not sure which way to go. The safest and most pleasant, for me, is just to look at the old pictures of what I know Aiken to be and close my eyes to the new. I am confused by the new Aiken. The things I knew to be real and valuable are not that way anymore.

Perhaps my basset hounds will give me the answers I am looking for. I seem to be burying my face deep into the folds of their wrinkles a lot since last weekend. I am looking for answers from the pictures I have of Aikens yesteryear.

This was not at all the blog I thought I'd ever write about the magical Aiken Horse Show.Hope the next one is better.

No comments: